Friday, 14 November 2014

Pranbanan a giant jigsaw puzzle



Another day and another temple. 
I am still in Jogjakarta and today I visit a second World Heritage 
site of Pranbanan .I'ts going to be very different from yesterday as 
Its Hindu rather than Buddhist. The pictures I've seen resemble
 Angkor Wat  in Cambodia. I'm really looking forward to the day.





Pranbanan is an exciting work in progress. Repairs are still
being carried out from a recent earth quake. Yet in other areas
the stones have been laid out by patterns. It's like a giant
impossible jigsaw.
The site is very much a historic monument rather than a place of worship. Very different from Borobudur but every bit as interesting.
Both sites are alive with visitors. It was a Saturday when I visited. I loved the sounds of laughter as many groups of young people explored the site. Almost all the students were in school uniforms. They wore bright colours of reds and blues or blues and yellows. Most people in Java are Moslem and many girls hair was covered by a hijab



I was really impressed by their good manners and enjoyment of being out together. They were typical young people out in a group. They explored the monument but were having fun sharing the company of friends.








As a lone traveler I'm a little like wallpaper and can explore the sites and observe the people without notice.
This is not the case in Java. I was a cross between a minor celebrity and a rarity. Being tall, fat, old and distinctly European marked me as someone to approach and ask for a photo. My guide tried to send people away. I loved it. It gave me a great chance to talk with young and old alike. Thanks for letting me share your afternoon.

Can I have copies of your pictures?



Thanks for all the fun, fantastic sites and your friendship.


No comments:

Post a Comment