Sigirya is a massive rock dominating the Countryside
near Dambulla at almost at the most central point of Sri Lanka.
It was the ancient capital and at the very top of the massive rock
a Palace was built by King Kasyapa.
Many stories are told of the King being a Playboy and this was his Summer home.
Later the site had a radical change of use when it became a Buddhist Monastery
Today it is a World Heritage Site and the most popular attraction for visitors.
The journey starts with exploration of the Monastery and gardens
The garden has a real attraction and this young fellow must be the star of many tourist photos.
He's unbelievably tame and is happy for visitors to come very close.
The main purpose of the visit was to climb the 1201 steps of the massive rock to visit the Palace and take in the view.
Sounds pretty straight forward?
That is unless you have a fear of heights.
Why is it that as you get closer the rock appears to get bigger?
The first few steps are straight forward with flights of stone stairs.
Then its on to the steel stairs.
I had heard of the ancients frescoes that are one of the real gems of the site.
Luckily I thought they are only half way up the rock.
No problems!!
This cant be true!!
The only way to reach them is via a giant open metal spiral staircase.
I was shaking before I started to climb.
I couldn't look up or down only straight ahead.
I hated every step, my knees and legs simply turned to jelly.
Somehow I reached the top and a metal gangway
I could see the ground below.
The frescoes were bright and fresh and looked as if they had been painted yesterday,
Truly magnificent.
Sounds like the stories about the King could be true.
Return was by the same frightening stairway before a walk next to the mirrored walk way
I was relieved that I wasn't required to walk outside the wall.
The good news was I was halfway up the rock.
The bad news more and more open steps and metal walk ways.

These steps are a modern luxury.
When the Palace was built the only way up the massive rock was by small steps carved in the rock and many bamboo ladders.
I cant believe it
I'm at the top!
The views from the top are simply breath taking.
The gardens are beautiful and you can see forever
Its a great site for a Palace.
The Palace was large and dominated the area.
It's an amazing engineering achievement.
It even had a fantastic swimming pool.
The stairs and climb reward you with a truly memorable experience.
A mixture of adrenalin rush tempered by pure fear.
Many stories are told of the King being a Playboy and this was his Summer home.
Later the site had a radical change of use when it became a Buddhist Monastery
Today it is a World Heritage Site and the most popular attraction for visitors.
The journey starts with exploration of the Monastery and gardens
| Sigiriya Gardens |
| The Monastery |
The garden has a real attraction and this young fellow must be the star of many tourist photos.
He's unbelievably tame and is happy for visitors to come very close.
The main purpose of the visit was to climb the 1201 steps of the massive rock to visit the Palace and take in the view.
Sounds pretty straight forward?
That is unless you have a fear of heights.
Why is it that as you get closer the rock appears to get bigger?
The first few steps are straight forward with flights of stone stairs.
Then its on to the steel stairs.
I had heard of the ancients frescoes that are one of the real gems of the site.
Luckily I thought they are only half way up the rock.
No problems!!
This cant be true!!
The only way to reach them is via a giant open metal spiral staircase.
I was shaking before I started to climb.
I couldn't look up or down only straight ahead.
I hated every step, my knees and legs simply turned to jelly.
Somehow I reached the top and a metal gangway
I could see the ground below.
The frescoes were bright and fresh and looked as if they had been painted yesterday,
Truly magnificent.
Sounds like the stories about the King could be true.
Return was by the same frightening stairway before a walk next to the mirrored walk way
I was relieved that I wasn't required to walk outside the wall.
The good news was I was halfway up the rock.
The bad news more and more open steps and metal walk ways.
These steps are a modern luxury.
When the Palace was built the only way up the massive rock was by small steps carved in the rock and many bamboo ladders.
I cant believe it
I'm at the top!
The views from the top are simply breath taking.
The gardens are beautiful and you can see forever
Its a great site for a Palace.
The Palace was large and dominated the area.
It's an amazing engineering achievement.
It even had a fantastic swimming pool.
The stairs and climb reward you with a truly memorable experience.
A mixture of adrenalin rush tempered by pure fear.




No comments:
Post a Comment