I was amazed to find that in the new Indonesia several of the Sultans have important political positions in government. I was lucky enough to visit the palaces in Jogjakarta and Solo.
Both had public and private apartments and are a central focus for visits, meetings and cultural events such as performances of traditional music and dance
The morning I visited Jogjakarta a full practice of dancers, musicians and singers was taking place. Everything was so different from home. The music was played on a collection of drums and kettle like musical belles.The sound was slow and haunting and the singing was low and formed patterns with the sounds of the music.
The dancers started sitting on the floor and it took many minutes before they stood. Their motions slow, measured and very precise. They moved with perfect balance and could hold impossible positions for long periods. Their instructor moved between them correcting the smallest of errors. I watched for nearly an hour. It was truly fascinating.
So what about the chastity belts?
Its time to meet my guide in Solo.
Shes a delightful young lady and is a student at the local university. Her family has worked for the Sultan for several generations. She has a part time job showing English speaking visitors guests round the palace.
She had a real sparkle about her and had real knowledge about everything.
Confidentially she took me to a large glass cabinet and showed me a mixture of artifacts that had been collected over the years.
She pointed to two strange items in the centre of the case and with a smile asked did I know what they were. Sorry no not a clue was my reply.
She laughed and explained simply they're chastity belts for him and her!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment