 |
| Raising the Indonesian flag at the Majapahit Hotel |
 |
| Majapahit today |
My stay in Surabaya was at the Majapahit an iconic hotel in the centre of the City.
The hotel played a major part in the fight for independence at the end of the Second World War. The people had suffered greatly with the invasion of the Japanese during the war. They opposed recolonisation by the Dutch in 1945 at sought the establishment of a free Indonesia.
The picture above shows the Indonesian flag being raised at the hotel as part of that fight.
 |
| Sculpture commemorating fight to free Indonesia |
In the Centre of the City a monument has been setup to commemorate the birth of the Nation. There is a small underground museum telling the story of the road to freedom.
The centerpiece is a large bronze beautifully made. Its power is not just in its size and artistry, it speaks of sacrifice and strength to achieve freedom.
The Mystery of Sherlock
 |
| Students outside the library |
 |
English Study Group
Java is such a friendly place and its really easy to get to meet the people. Surabaya is the ideal place to be out on the streets, smile and get your photo taken.
I spent a really enjoyable hour with a group of students that meet on a Saturday as an advanced English class. I am sorry to say I gate crashed the group to find out a little about what they were doing.
I was astounded to find they were all avid Sherlock fans and were watching the brand new block buster BBC programme. Its one of my favourite shows in the UK and I must admit at times I find the plot difficult.
Their first question was do you know Sherlock? Tell us what does it all mean?
I love visiting new places seeing great sites and most of all meeting the people. The group was like a breath of fresh air, full of life with open hearts and the will to advance their lives by sharing learning.
A truly memorable morning.
It's not McDonalds
fantastic fresh fast food
fast food team
I am very sorry I truly hate most fast food and only visit McDonalds when demanded by my two Grand Sons.
Surabaya offers something very different a fresh fish restaurant where you pick your food its then cooked in minutes and whisked to your table by one of the friendly team. It was simply delicious.
I'm sorry to say this is my last day in Java.
It's been a memorable stay.
Thank you
Tomorrow I say hello Bali
|
No comments:
Post a Comment