Join my visit to the Salam Orphanage
The Salam Orphanage is a foundation providing care for 41 children of all ages. It is provided with only very basic food aid by the state.
It relies on external funding for salaries and all other expenses.
When I arrived most of the children were away at different schools around the town. I was able to talk with the staff and was shown round the dormitories by the resident school pet dog.
Great efforts have been made to make it feel like a home. It was well cared for and the small dormitories were all neat and tidy with toys donated by visitors for the children.
It was great when the kids started to come home from school and I had the chance to meet them
I had my iPad with me. On it I have games for my Grand Children it took the girls about 2 minuets to work out how to use it.
I described the children as orphans this is not always the case as children from families unable to support their children are given a home.
I was lucky enough to sit down with the staff before lunch and ask what help they needed.
The answer was very simple. We are always so short of money.
I was so pleased to be asked to stay for lunch.
It didn't seem right to take a picture.
The meal was simple and shared at long tables. I noticed it was fine to go up and ask for seconds and the kids wolfed the meal down in a very short time before rushing off with the plates to complete the washing up.
The Orphanage would love to replace their oldest single story dormitories with a new block. They simply don't have the funds.
Can you help?
Like to know more?
Please contact me
peterbanwell@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment